Happy Independence Day🇺🇸 to all my American Cheeleaders! Today’s post in the July Beauty Challenge is patriotic in honour of it being the 4th of July today.
I’m not American, but I did have the American flag on my nails during the 2012 London Olympic games. I painted the flags of 10 countries on to my nails freehand which lasted the duration of the games and then I followed it through with the Paralympics using the flags of 10 different countries.
Apologises for the poor quality photograph but I took this when I was just 16 and camera phones weren’t really up to much back in the day. Here are the steps (if I can recall them correctly) to paint your own USA flag, it’s a shame I didn’t have the foresight back in the day to do a step by step tutorial as that would have been more interesting than this text heavy post:
- Start this design by applying a protective base coat to your nails, although the base colour of this design is white it is always good practice to use a base polish as it helps prolong your design and you avoid any yellowing of the nail underneath or unnecessary staining.
- Apply 2/3 coats of white nail polish, the amount of coats depends on how opaque your shade of white is on your nails. You don’t want to see any streaks for this design.
- Next you need to add a dark blue box in the top left of your nail. I used a striper for this but you can use masking tape to ensure crisp lines.
- Once your box is in place, you can go ahead and add the red stripes. Again I used a striper for this but you could use thin strips of tape if your lines aren’t too good freehand.
- For the stars I used small diamanté gems, there was no way I could make enough little stars to represent the authentic flag so little gems were the substitute.
- Wait for the design to dry completely and then seal in your design with a quality clear top coat.
Let me know if you’ve attempted nail art in the comments below and if you would like to see anymore posts like this in the future ⬇️
Love and (high)light
Facebook: Macquillage with Leilani
Snapchat and Twitter: MissLCAK